Volunteer Opportunities in Meriden & Wallingford Connecticut
The United Way of Meriden and Wallingford makes volunteering fun, easy and accessible to individuals, families, groups and corporations. Put your talents to work for your community. Give the gift of you. Volunteer.
Independent Sector: The estimated dollar value of one hour of volunteer time for 2014 in Connecticut is $26.79
- Individual or Youth Volunteers: United Way of Meriden and Wallingford offers you a variety of ways to get involved and make an impact. Volunteerism is also a great way to fulfill community service requirements for graduation, student organizations, college applications and scholarships, merit badges, and many other program
- Corporate Volunteers: An excellent way to help increase employee productivity, enhance employee teamwork skills, improve public image, and increase employee leadership skills by working together on a project in your community. Take a morning, afternoon or day to serve your community through a hands-on volunteer experience
- Holiday Programs: Our Adopt-A-Family Program is a way to work with your family, friends, group, or company to sponsor a local family and purchase much-needed items off their wish list for the holidays. The United Way of Meriden and Wallingford also sponsors The Giving Tree at the Westfield Meriden mall, where shoppers are encouraged to select a tag from the tree, purchase the gift item on the tag, and drop the gift off with mall staff. Anything that you can do to help will have a huge impact on making the holidays much brighter for local families
Individual or Youth VolunteersLooking to volunteer as a youth or individual? Click below to get started!
Corporate VolunteersAre you a business interested in volunteering? Click below to get started!
As an individual, as a company, as this United Way, we all can advocate for the programs that will mean lasting change that our community needs so all of us can advance. That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
In the Meriden-Wallingford area we advocate by:
- Convening community parents, educators, agencies and businesses to develop a blueprint for Early Learning that charts how we will improve the lives of children in our community from birth to age eight by looking at their education, income stability and health.
- Helping to produce the Ten Year Plan to End Homelessness in Meriden and Wallingford and helping our community and partner agencies to develop the programs that will achieve that goal.
- Partnering with MidState Medical Center to conduct a needs assessment on the health and quality of life issues for our citizens.
The Volunteer Center of the United Way of Meriden and Wallingford has been the liaison for our agencies in matching the needy families in the community with corporate groups who wish to “adopt” these families for the holidays.
Agencies screen the families to determine eligibility so that you know your generosity is going to the most needy families in the community — families that would “go without” for the holidays.
Frequently requested items are toys, food, clothing and sometimes household items. Families can be small or large and, on occasion, senior citizens.
If this program sounds right for your employees, just do the following:
- Choose a contact person.
- Determine how many of your employees will be participating.
- Collect the items.
- Decide who will do the shopping.
- Contact The Volunteer Center of the United Way of Meriden and Wallingford at 203-235-4403, ext. 1002.
Once your contact person answers some general questions, a match is made! From this point on, your contact person deals directly with the agency.
United Way is your partner in employee engagement. United Way offers workplace engagement activities that bring employees together to solve tough challenges. We have a large and trusted network of community partners which allows our team to offer unique experiences to fit your workplace culture and values.
United Way Year of Caring
- Half or full day projects held at a community partner agency
- Great for team building
- United Way staff identifies the project and will work with your team to ensure that the day runs smoothly
- Sites throughout central and northeastern Connecticut